Friday 4 March 2011

Review: Maserati + Günther Schickert

Well, this wasn't exactly what I hoped for…

Krautrock musician Günther Schickert and his band opened for the first gig of Maserati's current European tour. Schickert and band started with some drony noise stuff with echoed and delayed guitars, which I actually found quite interesting, slowly building into more and more groovy and psychedelic Post-Rock songs. I didn't like the groovy parts and had hoped for Schickert's set to be more experimental. Altogether they played about half an hour in front of a half empty Lido. Günther Schickert also announced a session in collaboration with Maserati post their set. But before that Maserati were going to "blow everyone's ears," at least according to Schickert...

Maserati came on and started with the first songs from their latest record. I thought the sound was quite good, at least it was better than the "light show" which I found really annoying.
However they bored me already after two or three songs. It all kind of sounded the same to me. They played tight and good and I think as a die hard Maserati fan you might have liked it... at least the people dancing in the front rows did. Also worth mentioning is the last song Maserati played that evening as it was their only song with vocals. Let me just say I really hope they're going to stick to instrumental music and stop trying to sing...

After that I wasn't actually in the mood to wait for the impro-jam-session but I wanted to see at least if it could become worse. I have to say it did not but it also didn't get any better, so I left after about ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment